Monday, April 11, 2011

Back with a BANG, baby!

So there's nothing better to break a long scrapping hiatus than an extremely large, almost overwhelming, and completely last minute project!!  The Bling Fairy dropped off some photos (ahem) yesterday afternoon for a Mini Book I offered to do on their new home.  She wanted something to bring with on a trip they're taking to visit family.  When's the trip, you ask?  TOMORROW!!

Those who know me well know that I do best when faced with an immediate deadline.  The plan had been to pick up the photos on Saturday morning on my way to a Scrappy Shopping excursion, this way I could get a feel for paper colors and such.  Thanks to a game of Hide-and-go-Seek with a rogue printer cable, I ended up doing my shopping without the pictures in hand.  Surprisingly, this made me a lot more careful about my paper choices.  I perused several new collections from my favorite design companies, and went with a Double Deck from Cosmo Cricket.  It's the Girl Friday/Everafter paper stack, and I chose it not only because I thought the reds and grays would go well with the house pictures, but I also saw myself actually using every. single. sheet. of paper in this stack.  Most of the paper stacks I've purchased in the past are ones that I've only liked a third (or less) of the designs.  Two of the designs in this pack I've actually purchased as single sheets of paper, AND I've already cut into them!

I started out with 14 sheets of 4x6 chipboard from a package I got on clearance last summer.  The photos are all trimmed to 4x5 for simplicity, while keeping the feel of the book uniform throughout.  Here is the front of the book with a photo of their sweet pooch:

I used my Labels 1 dies from Spellbinders, and used a stamp from Autumn Leaves to make journaling tags to go between the chipboard pages.  There is a journaling spot on each side of the tag so she can write a little bit about the before and after pictures.

Here you can see the detail of the punched strips I added to the "binding edge" of each page.  I chose five designs from the paper stack for the front and back covers and the border strips.  This kept the overall book very simple and cohesive, but still added a bit of a design element.  I punched a strip of patterned paper, and backed it with a punched strip of gray that coordinated.  The gray helps to deliniate between the patterned paper and the photo.

A sweet mulberry flower from Recollections (thank you Clearance aisle!) added to the photo on the front and voila!  Not too bad for a few evening's work!

Thanks for looking!

Cheers!

1 comment:

I appreciate your comments! Happy Stamping!